Most people who founded non-governmental organisations (NGOs) created only one; but Shimite Winifred Bello was so profound in her vision and aspiration that she founded a conglomerate of NGOs.
And her success with the Quintessential Group, impacting the lives of thousands of women, and others besides, must have informed invitations to serve in the public sector, trusting her with annual portfolios of billions of Naira.
As we continue our series on Nigerian women who deserve to be celebrated in the Women’s History Month, here are a few facts that distinguish Shimite Winifred Bello:
- She is the Executive Assistant to the Governor of Delta State on Export Initiatives and Coordinator of the Delta State UNIDO Centre.
- She was Executive Secretary of the Delta State Micro, Small and Medium Enterprise Development Agency.
- She was the focal person for the implementation of the Federal Government’s Social Investment Programme in Delta State.
- She founded, and was President, of the Quintessential Group, a conglomerate of non-governmental organizations, a social business enterprise and for-profit companies.
- She produced and presented “African Pot”, a TV documentary that promoted traditional African cuisine, tourism and culture as well as investment opportunities on the continent.
- She was Production Co-ordinator with Inside-Out Media.
- She was Technical Adviser to the Senior Special Adviser to the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria on Ethics and Values in 2014.
- She was a member of the Steering Committee of USAID/NEXTT (Nigerian Expanded Trade & Transport) – LAKAJI Trade Corridor.
- She is a member of the Board of Directors of FESECA – Foundation for Economic Change in Africa.
- She served as Contributing Editor on Travel and Tourism with Daily Trust, Leadership and African Travel Quarterly.