Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers gathered by Micnaij Media
- The suspended Acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Ibrahim Magu, has said that the purported interim report of his probe did not emanate from the Presidential Panel.
Lawyer to Magu, Wahab Shittu, disclosed this in a statement, quoting the Chairman of the panel, Justice Ayo Salami.
- The Presidency on Sunday reacted to Femi Fani-Kayode, former Aviation Minister’s attack on a reporter, Charles Eyo.
President Muhammadu Buhari’s Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu said there was no stupid question in journalism, adding that the basics in journalism indicate that there are only stupid answers and not questions.
- The Northern Elders’ Forum, NEF, has declared that the recent publication by the Senate ad-hoc Committee on the Review of the 1999 Constitution (as amended) is of no value.
The NEF suggested that “the exercise should not be supported by any Nigerian genuinely concerned by waste in governance at this difficult time when the economy is facing unprecedented challenges.”
- The Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, has cleared all the chairmanship and councillorship positions in the local government election conducted across the thirteen local government areas of the state.
The chairman of the Ebonyi State Independent Electoral Commission, EBSIEC, Barr. Jossy Eze, while declaring the winners in the election, affirmed the victory of PDP candidates in all LGAs.
- Anambra businessman, Prince Arthur Eze, has described the call by the Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr Chris Ngige, for the banishment of 12 monarchs who accompanied him to Abuja as inconsequential.
In a statement on Sunday by Eze’s Head, Media Directorate, Okpala Okechukwu, he said, “The attention of the media directorate to the foremost philanthropist, industrialist business mogul and oil merchant, Prince Engr Arthur Eze has been drawn to a call by one Dr Chris Nwabueze Ngigie of Alor town.”
- 138 new confirmed cases and 2 deaths of coronavirus have been recorded in Nigeria, according to the NCDC.
The 138 new cases are reported from 14 states- Plateau (55), Lagos (15), Ebonyi (11), Oyo (11), Abia (cool, Anambra (7), FCT (7), Rivers (7), Kaduna (6), Ondo (5), Kwara (3), Bauchi (1), Benue (1), Edo (1).
- Some aggrieved Northern lawyers who pulled out from the recently concluded Nigeria Bar Association (NBA) conference had written to the Attorney General and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami informing him about the formation of a new group known as New Nigerian Bar Association (NNBA).
The letter dated 28th August 2020 and signed by the conveners of the new group, Barrister Nuhu Ibrahim and Barrister Abdulbasit Suleiman affirmed that the formation of the new group has become imperative and expedient.
- Governors in the South East geo-political zone and other leaders of the zone, on Sunday, converged on the Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu, to witness the historic reopening and inauguration of the newly rehabilitated runway of the airport, expressing deep appreciation to President Muhammadu Buhari for acceding to their yearnings by approving and releasing the sum of N10 billion for the rehabilitation of the airport.
Speaking during the reopening of the airport which was closed on August 24, 2019, for a comprehensive rehabilitation of the runway and other facilities, the Igbo leaders also commended Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi of Enugu State for his exceptional commitment, resilience and sacrifice towards the actualization of the project.
- Two members of the Sheikh Ibrahim Zakzaky- led Islamic Movement in Nigeria (IMN) otherwise known as Shi’ites, were reportedly killed during a clash with Police in Kaduna on Sunday.
The sect members were out in protest to press demand for release of their leader, Sheikh Ibrahim Zakzaky and his wife, Zeenat, who have been in detention since December, 2015 after a bloody clash with soldiers in Zaria.
- Governor Godwin Obaseki of Edo State has said that President Muhammadu Buhari has assured him of a peaceful election come September 19.
Obaseki, who is the governorship candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, said this while calling on voters to come out en masse to cast their votes.