Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian newspapers gathered from Micnaij Media
- The paramount ruler of Igala kingdom, HRM Idakwo Michael Ameh Oboni II is dead.
The monarch died on Thursday morning at Wada Hospital in Abuja, after battling a protracted ailment.
- President Muhammadu Buhari on Thursday met with past presidents at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
Past president at the meeting included, ex-Presidents Yakubu Godwin, Ibrahim Babangida, Ernest Shonekan, Abdulsalami Abubakar, Goodluck Jonathan.
- President Muhammadu Buhari has sacked Prof. Charles Dokubo as the Coordinator, Amnesty Programme.
The President’s Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, in a statement made available to journalists on Thursday, also approved the appointment of Col. Milland Dixion Dikio (retd.) as the interim administrator of the programme.
- Dr. Akinwunmi Adesina has been re-elected as the President of the Africa Development Bank.
Adesina was re-elected by the Board of Governors of the Bank at the ongoing AFBD’s virtual annual meeting in Abidjan on Thursday.]
- The Federal Government of Nigeria, on Thursday, announced that the resumption of international flights has been postponed.
The new date is now September 5, 2020.
- Governor Abdullahi Umar Ganduje of Kano State, has said he will sign the death warrant passed on a Kano-based singer, Sharif Yahya Aminu, for blasphemy once his right of appeal elapsed.
Ganduje, however, said that for now, the singer has the right to appeal the judgement up to the Supreme Court, but won’t hesitate to approve his execution once all legal avenues are exhausted.
- President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the appointment of Bashir Tijjani Babajo as Executive Director, Operations, Nigerian Agricultural Insurance Corporation (NAIC).
The President also renewed the appointment of Philip Ashinze as Executive Director, Finance and Administration effective August 1, 2020.
- Oba of Benin, Oba Ewuare II, on Thursday, proposed a single term of six years for president and governors.
The monarch, who spoke on Thursday when the Chairman, Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Mahmood Yakubu, visited him in Benin on Thursday, said this would reduce tension and violence associated with the election and re-election.
- Vice President Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, has called on those who have concerns about the recently-signed Companies and Allied Matters Act (CAMA) 2020 to approach the National Assembly.
Speaking at the ongoing Nigeria Bar Association Annual General Conference during a Special Conversation, Osinbajo said such persons can get possible amendments, since “we are in a democracy.”
- Manchester United midfielder, Paul Pogba, has tested positive for coronavirus.
This has led to the player being left out of France’s squad for the Nations League games against Sweden and Croatia and has been replaced by Eduardo Camavinga.